All I want for Christmas is a Pole Room or Room for a Pole! Step into 2020 with "YOU" on your priority list!
It's early. The sun is just coming up, and the house is quiet. While the rest of the family is still in bed, Maria opens the French doors to what was once her “extra room” and enters a tranquil, candlelit space where a Polga pole and black yoga mat awaits her. Alone, Maria stands at the base of her pole, feeling the yoga mat at her feet and takes a deep breath, notices the faint scent of incense in the air around her, and begins her morning Polga practice. This is the space she can always have a place to go and no schedule to adhere to but her own.
Maria is among a growing number of women who have created a dedicated space for practicing pole fitness and Polga (pole yoga) at home. A few have built a true studio space; some have converted an extra bedroom; and others have created “a place to call their own” in the corner of a room.
Regardless of the approach, making physical space at home for your Polga practice can have a profound effect on your life. With a “pole room” of your own means you can spend time for you. You won't be skipping stretching, strengthening, and working out because there's no time to get to a studio or spending precious minutes rearranging furniture in order to have space to unfurl your mat and put up your pole. A designated space can also help you become more consistent.
You must consider your space and what works for you. I know many of my students have pole rooms and "a pole studio" in their homes, but for me and my home I have made space in my bedroom. My family and I live in a condo (so we do not have extra space). I love my "area" of my room.
Here are a few tips for finding space for your pole and setting up your very own "pole space".
Design Within Reach and design within your space.
- If you have a "designated room". Choose a flat space that is about 9 feet (2.7 m) by 9 feet (2.7 m by 2.7 m).You can perform pole fitness or Polga in a smaller space, but this size is ideal to hold all your equipment and not feel confined. If you don't have a "designated room"? Look for space in an existing room where you can take a corner and make it yours. Look in your bedroom, sewing room, office, garage, etc.
- Remove all clutter from the area.Embrace minimalist design. You want to limit distractions and encourage concentration. Make the space inviting and a place you want to come into every day.
- Grab a mirror or not? Many studios have mirrors that helps students see their moves, but some people don’t want a mirror and want the introspection of not having a mirror. Mirror or no mirror, that is completely up to you. You can purchase a large mirror that sits against the wall. These are easy to move around, don’t take up much space, and less expensive.
- Flooring If you have a hardwood floor, all you will need is a yoga mat, since hardwood floors are easy on the knees and hold warmth. If you have a concrete floor, secure a flat rug on the floor and cover it with a yoga mat, or use 2 to 3 yoga mats. Concrete can be hard on the knees and too cold for the body, so you need an extra layer or 2 of protection. If you have a carpeted floor, test it to see how soft it is. Extremely soft carpets may not provide enough stability. In that case, cover it with a finished wooden plank and then a yoga mat. If it is slightly thicker, it may provide enough grip to practice Polga without a mat.
- Set up adjustable lighting.A dimmer is ideal, so that you can change the light depending upon the time of day you practice and turn it low when you are meditating or relaxing. Put your pole studio near a window, if you would like a lot of natural light in your studio. Make sure it does not let in too much distraction and noise.
- Set up a computer, TV or music speakers near your yoga mat, for easy viewing. This is especially important if you plan to use videos and lessons. Even if you do not need instruction, you may want to play soothing music for meditative purposes.
Finding a space of your own within your home to do something wonderful for yourself and your health is so very important. Go into this next year with "YOU" on the top of your priority list and see how your life changes.
Need a pole? Find our more about Polga (pole yoga) and get your very own pole by visiting https://www.polgapoleyoga.com/pl/111295. or visit www.polgapoleyoga.com.